Though soy is in nearly everything we consume now- there are alternatives.
Vegan Alternatives to soy milk include: Rice milk, almond milk and coconut milk. You can make a sugar free, raw almond milk at home. The main thing to watch out for with the nut milks is they sometimes have high levels of sugars in them- even if not refined cane sugar they are still sweetened with sugars (brown rice syrup for example) and affect the body are should be avoided. Most brands offer unsweetened versions of the pre-made nut milks.
Cows milk: it has its own problems as well but you can purchase organic cow's milk which is a healthier alternative to regular cow's milk for those who still wish to drink cow's milk. In some areas you can get "raw" milk. I don't know much about raw milk as I have never been much of a fan of cow's milk but here is an interesting link: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html
I do know that pasteurizing kills bad pathogens and most likely a lot of the beneficial bacteria as well. Here's another interesting link on raw milk and it seems the government is trying to shut it down.
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1598525,00.html
It seems that government wants to keep us away from things that may actually be good for us and just keep force feeding us lies that soy is our miracle food when soy seems nothing more than a poison to our health and our environment.
As far as non-soy meat alternatives that could replace things like veggie burgers and tofurkey products (that I happen to love! :( ) I will keep you posted. I don't know of any yet. If any of you know of any please let me know! I am going to miss my vegan sausages, veggie burgers, tofurkey's. Etc. For Thanksgiving I have the Tofurkey Vegetarian Roast, it is made with organic Tofu. Organic or whole and in moderation is the only way to eat soy foods.
Fermented soy foods though still contain small amounts of toxins/hormones- they are molecuarly different so foods like tempeh and miso are okay to eat. Again in moderation since we are getting exposed to soy in everything else even if we don't even know it!
Soy Replacements for mayonaise include my personal favorite which is vegetarian but not vegan: http://www.farawayfoods.com/lemonaise.html
I still want to eat a mostly vegetarian diet but I do enjoy eating meat from time time. I purchase products from animals fed grains (not soy) and raised on small farms from time to time. The price of meat like that is far more expensive than the commercialized corporate farmed meats but the health benefits outweigh them not to mention the taste! It's far superior. Not to mention you can purchase meats that have not only NOT been given soy, hormones, or antibitics, but the meats do not contain harmful nitrates either!
There are healthier ways, but its up to us to find them. Until the FDA and other government agencies put consumer's health above making money- we cannot rely on them to tell us the truth. Its your health, what could be more important?
No comments:
Post a Comment