Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Health Kick for Life

Posted to fb 2/22/10.

So I am on a health kick for life. I don't smoke, I rarely if ever drink alcohol and am loving it! I don't eat junk food, nothing with MSG in it- (except on rare ocassions I do slip into temptation with Doritos Nacho Cheese flavor, damn them!), No TRANS fats, very little fried foods- almost no fast foods (Taco Time and Subway are my exceptions). I don't drink soda's of any kind, haven't for five years now. I try not to eat processed foods- and avoid white flour. I eat whole wheat grains, rice, bread, and pasta's. I try to cook from home as much as possible. I eat very little meat. Fish, some red beef (organic, free range never ground meats) and I still eat eggs, ice cream and cheese, other than that I'm practically vegan. I prefer to eat and cook mostly vegan and I love how I feel. I don't eat sugar (except in extremely small quantities)- and I avoid corn syrup like the plague. I despise artificial sweetener's and refuse to eat them unless I get tricked like tonight, its in my cold medicine and I seriously am gagging and hardly able to choke the stuff down it is so disgusting. My weakness is chocolate but I only eat dark chocolate now and I adore it. It took me a while to lose the sweet cravings, but believe me, it will happen. It has taken me almost three years to get this place where I no longer crave and can no longer tolerate sweet foods after a lifetime of over-eating sugar. It takes the brain a while to rewire from our bad habits but it can happen. Be patient! I used to only eat milk chocolate, but I have acquired the delicious slightly bitter, slightly sweet taste of dark chocolate and only eat dark chocolate! We try to eat as much raw foods as we can, but I am not against cooking. I just try to use cooking methods that keep as many of the healthy nutrients on the food as possible, light saute', slow cooker, steaming etc.

This "diet" may seem limiting, you may be thinking what does she eat? But that is just it, I am eating more delicious food than I have in my life and I'm healthier than when I was 20. I lost 25 lbs of fat, 4 clothing sizes ( a size 10 to a size 6, 4 in some jeans!), 6" off my hips- and a whole cup bra size smaller (thank god!) I weigh my pre-pregnancy weight in fat, have a perfectly healthy BMI- and am in perfect physical health (aside from this sinus infection LOL!) I'm working out (when healthy which right now unfortunately I am not) 2 times a week which come the warmer months I will increase to five or more. Love to be active in the warmer months but I really have to fight to keep it up during the winter. I've noticed though I've been healthier this winter than ever before, even with the environmental factors we've had, and emotionally I've felt much better too (I do use a Phillips Blu Go Lite on those really dark days and that helps) but nothing helps as much as exercising and eating right. It's made a tremendous difference.

I love to eat...and I love to eat Asian food, specifically Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and I love Mediteranean cooking and food as well. I enjoy Mexican and occassionaly Italian too, though that is more of an indulgence. I find ethnic foods are just so much healthier and more satisfying. I love all the wonderful flavors like curry. I am learning to cook new foods almost everyday like whole grain whole wheat breads and pizza crusts. I have made homemade vegan pad thai and recently I tried my hand at handmade whole wheat pitas and falafal. :)

I love to feel good- and the last few nights I have been having dreams in which I have the body I want and it is getting me really excited. I replaced 25 lbs of fat, with a nice lean 5 lbs of muscle and I'm working on toning up and sculpting more and more until I meet my goals.

Fitness. We all decide on what kind of lifestyle we have, why not make your decision a healthy one. Why not make fitness your life? I'm so grateful I did, and I have to say I wouldn't have been so successful if it wasn't for Hiram already being on this healthy path. With all his support, wisdom and encouragement I am getting fit for life too. We are living a healthy life together. I hope that as I pursue a career in the medical field I can learn more about fitness, and nutrition so I can help others achieve their fitness goals as well.

If I can do it, you can too, if you choose to!!

No comments: