Last night I am up till almost one. I decide to sleep in my own room so that hopefully Hiram's alarm clock won't wake me up. Tired and so ready to crawl into my nicely made bed, my arms find that my bed has circular, cold wet spot about 2 feet in diamter on it. Thankfully it is not urine. I'm baffled because I don't know how or when this much water could have ended up on my bed. I can only divise that I must have set my water bottle down on it at some point (which does in fact sound vaguely familiar) and that the lid must not have been screwed on top- thus making the entire 28 oz. soak through my entire bed.
Well at this point not wanting to disturb Hiram I grab Naiyah and an extra blanket and try to sleep diagonally on my bed. That worked fairly well. I wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked but I did sleep. That is, until a pre-programmed alarm on my new Phillips GoLite that I have taken out of the box but have not actually used yet (since we have been blessed with a bright, sunny, blue skied week since it arrived) went off. For the second day in a row, I went to bed around 1 am just to be awakened four short hours later by an alarm I didn't set, and didn't want to go off. An alarm that I thought I disabled yestesrday but here I was this morning fumbling around in the dark trying to figure out why on earth that dumb thing went off again and how to disable it. It appears to be very user-friendly but right now that is up for debate as not being able to simple NOT have an alarm set does not seem user friendly. I better figure this out quickly because so far I'm not nearly as impressed as I thought I would be with this purchase, and like I said, I haven't even used it yet.
Well Naiyah (my puppy) being awakened as well decided it was time to go outside to go to the bathroom- which I strongly detest at this hour in the cold (and the snow) because that just guarantees that I will be comletely awake and unable to get back to sleep once we return inside the house. But nature calls and she is being such a good girl to let me know she needs to go out, standing by the door of my room whimpering and looking towards me desperately. I take her out. She goes pee almost instantly but then refuses to go number two. She wanders around much longer than she usually ever does, especially in just her sweater (fumbling around in the dark I couldn't find her coat). Well she needs to go, and its obvious and she is walking around and circling and circling but then doesn't go and just comes over to me to go inside. Did I mention I am wearing short shorts so at this point I am very cold and now I have to pee? Well we rush inside, I give her a treat and then forgetting (in my semi-conscious stupor) that I hadn't put the baby gate up that we use to keep her from sneaking downstairs I go and use our restroom and leave her unattended. Big mistake- the moment I opened the bathroom door I knew immediately she had run downstairs to go number 2 because that is her thing when its cold outside, and thus why we have to have a baby gate to keep her from going down there. Sure enough just as I came out I heard her running up the stairs. She got a quick "bad girl" as I rushed downstairs to clean up the poo I knew would be waiting for me.
Sure enough she left her calling card on the downstairs bathroom rug. I grabbed some toilet paper and quickly whisked it into the toilet and flushed it, and the toilet was clogged. Not sure how long it had been that way either. Lovely. It's now 5:30 in the morning, I've already been up a half hour and want nothing more than to be back in my bed sleeping and I now have to deal with a clogged toilet. I run back upstairs and grab a pen and paper and write a note advising our roomies to use the upstairs toilet too tired to want to try to unclog the thiing at this hour, and knowing I couldn't risk a flood if I didn't put up a note or clear the clog. I get back downstairs realizing I better get the plunger and take care of this. I just can't trust that even with a note someone won't use it and flood the house and its not worth the risk. (I have learned the hard way with things like this way too many times). So I plunge the toilet and get that taken care of and come back upstairs and try to disarm that damn Golite that started this whole process to no avail.
I cannot figure out how to change the time on the clock, so its still set for 7:00 am EASTERN TIME, which is 5:00 am our time. There doesn't seem to be an option NOT to have an alarm, its either sound, light or both but no option to have niether. WTF? If this is the case this peice of crap can go back to Costco. After being woke up needlessly for the second day in a row on only four hours of sleep- during my final weeks of class when a major paper is due today- I'm not thrilled about this product whatsoever. Don't even care to try its light properties or anything else for that matter, but I will try it and quickly before my time to return it is up because so far I'm not satisfied and this damn thing was $150!!! Not just spare change for me.
I fiddle around with that damn Golite that as of right now (an hour later) I still want to throw under a bus and finally get the alarm to at least be set for noon eastern time, so ten o'clock am our time. I never sleep that late anwyay so having it go off then, for now, shouldn't be a problem.
Oh and don't even get me started on my dumb cat that wouldn't leave me alone for probably a good hour before the Golite woke me up and the subsequent cat-fight that ocurred while I was downstairs plunging our toilet. I am ready to kill or at least rehome two of our three cats right now as well. My door to my room just mysteriously stopped latching saturday evening so the cats manage to sneak in here quite easily. Right now I am barricaded inside my room with a suitcase against the door while one of them tries to break in (quite nosily I might add) and if they try hard enough they will easily be able to push that suitcase over.
I really wish there was somewhere I could just sleep- undisturbed somehow by cats, alarms, even my dog that I adore. I need a small sleep closet somewhere or something. I wonder if even then I could sleep? Seems no matter what I do something gets in the way of that, I feel like I'm cursed to spend my life without the energy I need to do the things I want because I never get enough rest no matter how hard I try.
So that's my day so far- all before 6:30 am on 4 hours of sleep. So much for my master plan to sleep in my room so that I could get good sleep, for the second day in a row. So I give up. I decided to blog/vent about it so I could let it go and use this time to focus on my research paper I haven't written that is due this evening. Perhaps all of this happened to keep my basement from flooding today and to give me a head start on this paper. I don't know but what I do know is that I'm going to be really tired later..and I have class until 9:00 p.m. tonight and usually can't nap so I have to figure out some way of surviving until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment