Monday, September 13, 2010

Cs Potluck fun and a tasty dish!

I haven't posted in ages, and many things have changed. We just moved from Salt Lake City Utah, to Daytona Beach Florida and are getting settled into our new lives here. It has been a dream come true. I'm starting a new blog about our lives and adventures. I'll post the link once I get an entry or two added. I will still update this blog as well as this blog is connected to auto-post to my facebook and I find facebook's status update character limit, much too limiting so I've decided instead of always having to limit what I say I will just blog instead, and do my status updates as blurbs from the blog. That way those who don't want more than a blurb, have their blurb and those who want more can get all the details. I hope it will be enjoyable for our friends and family back in Utah who would like to stay updated with what is going on with us since we are now about 2500 miles away.

Jaiden started his first week at his new school and is really enjoying it there. I'm now starting my job search which has me both excited and nervous. Hiram is loving working here in Florida!

Last night we had a wonderful opportunity to re-connect with the wonderful friends that were our couchsurfing hosts in St. Augustine (back in June when we came out to scout places/cities to live and work) at their monthly potluck. We met some new friends as well and had a really wonderful time. It was our first real social event since the move and it was just what we needed. Jaiden came with us and was quite the superstar. He was very engaged in the activities. He enjoyed swimming and playing volleyball with everyone. Hiram would have played but he had to sit out because he hurt his neck riding some pretty rough waves from Hurricane Earl and he is trying to let his neck rest. I hate volleyball due to a very unfortunate incident when I was in Jr. High, so I hate to play but I enjoy watching everyone else play. The sunset last night at the pier was absolutely gorgeous too, and of course like I always do, I tend to forgot to take pictures because I am just having fun socializing.

I took a dish that is vegan and was a huge hit. It was my first time trying it because I love roasted potatoes and it turned out great! I got it from this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-specials/anns-roasted-potato-salad-recipe/index.html
I managed to snap one quick picture before we got on the road for the drive up to St. Augustine. I will have to add my review to the site as well because I love this recipe so much!




I made a few minor adjustments to work with the ingredients I had on hand (after reading many of the reviews on the recipe). I used regular white onions instead of shallots (I couldn't find any shallots when I was at the store), and honey mustard instead of dijon (totally forgot I didn't have dijon on hand). Italian seasonsing instead of the fresh rosemary and thyme (and it worked great but use fresh if you have them because I bet it would be even better) but I did use fresh basil, that IS a must! If there is one ingredient I think you should not change it would be the basil, it is a key ingredient in this salad. I also did a 3:1 ratio of regular russet potatoes to sweet potatoes to add color and sweetness. The salad was a hit and went fast! It makes a smaller amount of servings than I'd expected, so if you have a really large group I would recommend doubling or even tripling the recipe. I would guess if people took small servings you could probably get eight out of this recipe as is, but I would highly recommend making more because it is so delicious, people want more than just a taste! I know I did. This was an instant favorite and I am thinking about making some more for lunch or dinner tonight, it was really that good.

I am a huge fan of both vinegar and mustard and I really enjoyed the added sweetness of the honey mustard and sweet potatoes paired with the tanginess of the vinegar and the slight minty bite of the basil and onions. It was absolutely delicious and I am so pleased everyone enjoyed it. I didn't have enough pans to make a larger batch (from our recent move) but hopefully I will for next time!

I'm looking forward to next month's potluck and seeing our new friends again already! I love the Couchsurfing network, it has been such an integral part of our move here in many ways, and many great things that have happened for us as hosts back in Salt Lake as well. I've made many wonderful friends and look forward to making many more along the way.

No comments: